Listed buildings in Newbury
This list attempts to summarise all the extant listed buildings in Newbury and its suburbs, taken from the listing particulars on the Images of England web site, with helpful additional information from Jeremy Holden-Bell and Duncan Coe. The listed is divided into Newbury, and the suburbs or parishes of Shaw, Speen, Donnington, and Greenham. Settlements outside Newbury such as Stockcross and Enborne are not included. Only minimal details are given. Gravestones are not included.
The general geographic direction is South to North, except that Greenham buildings are tacked on to the end. The numbering in each road is sequential, which may entail crossing the road if odd numbers are on one side and even numbers are on the other (as in the Broadway), but not if the numbering follows the buildings (as in Northbrook Street). For Newbury shops, the shop name is given where possible, as many do not give the building number on their front door.
Shaw House, Church Road, Shaw(I). 1581. Parapet and gables with stone coping and ball finials. H-plan. Plinth with moulded top and strongly moulded string courses between floors. Central Ashlar porch with Ionic pilasters supporting entablature with Greek inscription and triangular pediment, above moulded arched doorway. Interior: Mainly late 17th and early 18thcentury. Possibly 16thcentury stone fireplace in attic; re-used probably 16thor 17thcentury panelling in 1870 long gallery. Three rooms with 17thcentury panelling and 17th-18thcentury fireplaces. All other rooms with l8th century panelling and stone fireplaces, including the great hall and the present staff room to north-east. Staircase hall with late 17thcentury three-flight, square well staircase with 18thcentury rococo plaster ceiling above. House built for Thomas Dolman, a local clothier, and used as headquarters by King Charles I during the battle of Newbury, 1644.
Lychgate & Flanking Walls of Church of St Mary, Church Road,Shaw(II).Timber framed with hipped tile roof. Central archway with traceried sidelights. Four bays to each side with Gothic curvilinear tracery. Bronze cross on ridge. Erected in memory of Evelyn Agnes Marion Blackburn Maze by W.P. Blackburn Maze. Flint walls with Ashlar dressings.
Parish Church of St Mary, Church Road, Shaw(II).1840-2. Joseph Hansom. Chancel of 1878 by William Butterfield. Norman style with late 13thcentury style chancel. Fittings of c.1878. Many late 18thand early 19thcentury monuments in nave. Good monument of 1707 to Sir Thomas Dolman.
The Old Rectory,Church Road, Shaw (II). House.17thcentury centre block with timber framed first floor and tile hung gable. Early 20thcentury mullioned and transomed windows. Early 20thcenturyright hand block. Early 19thcentury block to left with 20thcenturymullioned and transomed window.
Vine Cottages,Church Road, Shaw (II). Twocottages, 17thand l9th century.
Primary School and Schoolmaster’s House, Love Lane, Shaw (II).William Butterfield. 1875 and 1883. Flint with brick and stone dressings. L plan.
Snelsmore House, Oxford Road, Donnington (The Donnington Valley Hotel)(II).Circa 1905house,possibly by Edgar Wood;service wings to north and west incorporate an early 19thhouse; west wing extended in 1950.English, Flemish and header bond red brick with tile dressings.Asymmetrical elevations with flat roof concealed behind parapets with tile courses.Almost detached porch at higher level with wrought-iron gates to steps leading down to arcaded loggia.The early 20thcentury interior is largely intact and the joinery is complete.The hall has dado panelling and a Jacobethan-style open-well staircase.Large drawing room also has dado panelling, moulded plaster frieze and beams and inglenook in semi-circular bay with corbelled brick fireplace.The service wing also has joinery including some early 19thcenturypanelled doors.Property of the Earl of Ronaldsay in the 19thcentury,depicted on the 1880 OS map as a smaller house called Island Villa.The 1912OS mapshows it as a larger house called The Durnalls.
Boundary Wall to the Priory, Oxford Road, Donnington (II).Mid 19thcentury, knapped flint with brick lacing courses and coping. Gate piers with pair of l9th century wrought iron gates. Included for group value.
Donnington Dene, Oxford Road, Donnington (II).Early 19thcentury house. Walter Money, the local Newbury historian, was born here in 1836.
Donnington Hospital, Oxford Road, Donnington (II*).Almshouses 1602, restored 1822. 20thcentury casements with leaded lights. Central porch with coat of arms. 20thcentury dormers. Courtyard with eaves supported on iron columns.
Lockett’s Bridge, Oxford Road, Donnington (II).Included for group value.
1 Castle Lane, Donnington (II). 17thcentury cottage.
Donnington Castle, Castle Lane, Donnington (I).1386 gatehouse; the castle was built earlier. Flint with stone dressings and some repairs in brick. Ruined courtyard with the remains of 6 towers. Gatehouse to east, possibly by Henry Yevele. Two circular towers at eastern corners with plinth and battlemented parapet. Two square headed windows to east with moulded 4-centered arch below. Interior: Gatehall has two-bay lierne vault with moulded ribs, cusped panels and carved bosses.
Donnington Castle House, Castle Lane, Donnington (II).17thcentury with later additions. 1648 carved brick on south front. Stone coped parapet and gabled dormers with ball finials over second and sixth bays. Central doorway with eared architrave and bracketted triangular pediment. Interior: Ground floor, left-hand front room has stone fireplace with arch and carved spandrels.
Stables 20 metres to west of Donnington Castle House, Castle Lane, Donnington (II).18thcentury with later alterations. Loft dormer with Gothick “Y” tracery in glazed gable.
DonningtonGrove, Donnington (II*).1772 and c.1782.John Chute.Projecting plinth, battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles.Central door and doorcase with Gothick pilasters supporting open, incurved, triangular pediment.Gothick order porch,with Gothick columns and pilasters supporting frieze and cornice.Service block adjoining to north-west:c,1800.Interior: Good, mainly Gothick of 1772.Main rooms include entrance lobby withcolonnaded aisles and benches, double-height top-lit staircase hall with gallery, morning room with canted bay on south-east front, Wyatt-like saloon to east added in late C18, vaulted billiard room in basement and first floor room to south-west with oriel window and rococo chimney piece.A very good and complete example of 18thcenturyGothick. Now a golf club and hotel.
Bridge over Lake,DonningtonGrove, Donnington (II).Probably early 20thcentury. Ashlar with timber balusters. Balustraded parapet with large rectangular end piers.
Fishing Lodge on River Lambourn,Donnington Grove,Donnington (II).18thcentury Gothick. Flint and brick.
Garden House, Donnington Grove, Donnington (II). Late 18thcentury.
Stable Block,Donnington Grove, Donnington (II).Late 18thcentury Gothick. Two pairs of garage doors and 19thcentury iron and glass porch.
Speen Obelisk, Speen Lane, Speen (II).
Craven Lodge, Speen Lane, Speen (II). Late 18thcentury.
Alma Cottage and Alma Lodge, Speen Lane, Speen (II).Two houses, 17th and 18thcentury. Painted brick and timber framed with brick nogging. 20thcentury lean-to porch.
Rectory Farmhouse, Speen Lane, Speen (II).17thor 18thcentury with 20thcentury additions.
Barn at Rectory Cottage, Speen Lane, Speen (II).18thcentury. Timber framed with weatherboarded sides and half-hipped corrugated iron roof; formerly thatched.
Granary at Speen Farm, Speen Lane, Speen(II).17thor 18thcentury. Timber framed with brick nogging and hipped old tile roof. Nine staddlestones.
Speen Grange, Speen Lane, Speen(II). South-east block late 18thcentury. North-west block early 18thcentury. Further late18th century service blocks to north. Interior: staircase in double height oval entrance hall.
Parish Church of St Mary, Speen Lane, Speen Lane, Speen(II).14thcentury, extensively re-built in 1860 and 1878. Probably re-used 16thcentury panelling in north aisle chapel with linenfolds, coats of arms and grotesques. Possible sounding board from Jacobean pulpit, in north aisle. All other fittings 19thcentury. 2 chest tombs with effigies in chancel; that to John Baptiste Castillion of 1597 in stone, and that to Lady Elizabeth Castillion of 1603 in alabaster. Other monuments include that by Johnathan Hicks for himself and his wife of 1713; that to William Craven and his mother of 1717; that to Thomas Wyld and his son, by Bacon, of 1791; that to Margrave of Anspach of 1806 by Canova and that to William Brinton of 1823 by Chantrey.
Elmore House, Speen Lane,Speen(II).18thcentury with 19thcentury additions, probably refronting of an earlier house. 20thcentury rustic hipped porch. 18thcentury panelled ground floor front room with possibly earlier moulded ceiling. Now Elmore Abbey. Oratory and library by Norman Davey. Refectory by Mike Ward.
Hillside Cottages, 1-4Bath Road,Speen (II).Early 19thcentury.No. 1 is included forgroup value.
Hare & Hounds Inn, Bath Road,Speen (II).Late 18thcentury.
Leighton Lodge, Bath Road,Speen (II).Late 18thcentury.
Benham Park, Bath Road,Speen (II*).1772-5 mansion with substantial late 19thcentury and early 20thcentury alterations and additions. Probably by Henry Holland with assistance from Lancelot (Capability) Brown. Ashlar and Stucco. Central tetrastyle portico with unfluted Ionic columns and pilasters behind supporting entablature and balustrade. Attic above with balustrade and urns. Interiorgood; mainly late 19thcentury. Two fireplaces in entrance hall and one in main bedroom came from Stowe in 1922. The interior still contains many features of importance in the development of the 18thcenturycountry house including the small circular double-height vestibule adjoining the inner hall to the west; referred to as ‘the tribune’ and later adopted by Soane. Grounds landscaped by Capability Brown.
East and West Lodges, Benham Park, Bath Road,Speen (II). Late 19thcentury gate lodges.
West Lodge Gate Piers and Gates, Benham Park (I).1662 to 1678. Probably by William Wynne or Winde. Each pier is crowned by trophies including armour, weaponry, standards etc.The gates are late 19thcentury.
Speen House, Bath Road, Speen (II).18thcentury, remodelled early 19thcentury. Interior: Fireplace in ground floor room to east has attenuated fluted columns.Good cornice.Fireplace in principal ground floor room to south has paired attenuated fluted columns and central wedgewood plaque.Other good fireplaces and cornices of early 19thcenturydate in first floor rooms.
Garden House, Speen House, Bath Road, Speen (II). Early 19thcentury.
Outbuildings of Speen House, Bath Road, Speen (II). 19thcentury, now residential. Included for group value.
Stable Block Adjoining Outbuildings of Speen House, Bath Road, Speen (II). 18thcentury.
Speen Manor Bath Road, Speen (II).Late 18thcentury with later additions.
Greenham Lodge,Pigeon’s Farm Road,Greenham(Mary HarePrimarySchool)(II*).1879-83, byNorman Shaw.Elizabethan style, probably inspired by Shaw House.Brick with stone dressings and some half timbering.Mullioned and transomed windows.Gabled wingswithtwolarge 20-light windows.Central gabled porch rising to parapet.Four-centered arched footway with Ionic pilasters supporting open triangular pediment.Pairedeight-light windows on first floor to right and left of porch andeight-light windows in gables above.Interior: Central screens passage with double-height panelled hall.Large fireplace overmantel on columns with embossed and gilded leatherwork and wind direction indicator.Dog-leg staircase rising to gallery above screens passage overlooking hall.First floor corridor with oriel windows overlooking hall.Panelled dining room.Chimney-pieceswithpatterned ceramic tiles designed by William de Morgan and made by Carter’s pottery of Poole.Important in the development of the 19thcenturyEnglish country house.
West Lodge to Greenham Lodge,Bury’s Ban Road,Greenham(II).1879-81, by Norman Shaw.Brick with stone dressings. Mullioned and transomed windows.Roof swept down over arched porch.
Stable block 35 metres to north of Greenham lodge, Greenham (II).Now residential.1882-3, by Norman Shaw. Brick with tiled roof.Twogabled dormers with barge boards.20thcenturycasements on ground floor.
Norman Cottage, Water Lane, Greenham (II).Pair of attached estate cottages for Greenham Lodge, 1891, by Norman Shaw. Red brick in English bond and fish-scale tile-hanging. Domestic Revival style. Intact interior, with stairs rising through arches in central stacks.
Barn ten metres to east of Pigeon’s Farmhouse, Greenham (II).18thcentury. Timber framed with thatched roof. Five framed bays.
Barn 70 metres to east of Pigeon’s Farmhouse, Greenham (II).18thcentury. Timber framed with weatherboarded sides and tiled roof. Six framed bays.
Church of StMary, New Road,Greenham(II*).Nave and chancel of 1875-6, north aisle of 1888 and baptistery of 1895. H. Woodyer. Early English style. Flint with stone dressings. Painted and stencilled decoration on walls and roof.Notable for the completeness of its fittings and internal decoration,include reredos, altar rails, pulpit and font.1618 Dutch glass depicting The Tree of Jesse.
Sandleford Priory, Newtown Road, Greenham (St Gabriel’s School) (I).An excellent and complete example of 18thGothick, 1780-1, by James Wyatt. 14thcentury flint and stone chapel refaced in 1780‑1 and rendered, retainingthe1400-20 roof with traces of original colouring. Interior: Gothick entrance hall with plaster ceiling. Vestigial great hall, and screens passage with plaster fan vaults. Punch’s roomwithdais with Doric columns supporting shallow saucer dome. Oval room adjoining to east with Adamish decoration includingWedgwood panels above cornice. Landscaped grounds and lake to east by Capability Brown. The priory on the site was founded for Augustinian Canons c.1200.
Stable block ten metres north of Sandleford Priory, Newtown Road, Greenham (part of St Gabriel’s School) (II).1780-1, by James Wyatt. Slate roof with timber and lead cupola on ridge. Centre baywithclock and battlemented parapet. Projecting wings with battlemented gable ends.
Sandleford Farmhouse, Newtown Road, Greenham (II).c.1800. Red brick, first floor with 20thcentury tile hanging. Blocked 19thcentury porch extension.
Dairy Adjoining Sandleford Farmhouse (II). Mid 19thcentury. Painted brick with octagonal shingled roof, formerly thatched. Octagonal plan. Thermal windows on all faces. Interior: ceiling with octagonal paned and central rosette; slate shelves around walls.
Sandleford Place, Newtown Road, Greenham (II).c.1800 house. Brick with coped pediment. Central doorway withFrench casements and rectangular fanlight. Tuscan porch with attenuated columns supporting an entablature.