Listed Buildings – Newbury
(Alphabetically by road)
Use the letters below to jump to the street you need.
- Former Wellington Arms public house, 4 Andover Road (II). Early 19th century.
- 61-67 Andover Road (II). c.1784 symmetrical terrace.
- Warren Lodge – see Warren Road
- St Bartholomew’s Hospital, almshouses, 1-27 Argyle Road (II*). 1698 reconstruction of 1618 almshouses (founded as Hospital before 1215), restored mid 20th century. (See also The Litten chapel, Newtown Road.)
- Gateway and wall of St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Argyle Road (II). 1698.
- Building at rear of Nos 13 & 15 St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Argyle Road (II). 1849. Formerly part of a range linked to the Litten, Newtown Road, and used by St. Bartholomew’s School in the 19th century.
- Bartholomew Manor, 4 Argyle Road (II). 15th-century building, remodelled in the mid-16th-century as a high-status house. Refronted on east side early 18th, remodelled in 1927-8. Two storeys and dormers. Interior includes two 16th-century five-centred moulded-brick fireplaces. Dendrochronology shows that the building itself dates from 1436, although some timbers are even earlier. Listing also includes 6 Argyle Road, which was originally part of the same building.
- 12-26 Argyle Road (II). Circa 1670 almshouses (the original Raymond Almshouses, until the 1790s), extensively reconstructed 1929 as homes for retired nurses.
- Bartholomew Close, Argyle Road (II). Early to mid 18th century.
(West side, N to S)
- Parish Church of St Nicolas (I). Wholly rebuilt c.1520-c.1534 in perpendicular style, with five-bay nave, N and S aisles, chancel with N and S chapels, and west tower. Ashlar with buttresses and gargoyles. Internal tower arch carries corbel with date “1532.” Chancel arch and alterations 1858 onwards by Henry Woodyer. Perpendicular nave roof with bosses carrying initials of John Smallwood and merchant’s mark of John Winchcombe. Fine carved pulpit of 1607. Comprehensive scheme of Victorian stained glass by Hardman, including a “Jack of Newbury” window and an 1887 Jubilee window.
- Gateways to churchyard of St Nicolas Church, adjoining Bartholomew Street (II*). c.1770, possibly by Fuller White, in Strawberry Hill Gothick. Portland stone ashlar. Double iron gates to both.
- War Memorial (II) by Mervyn Macartney, a replica of the cross at Cricklade, with four saints at the top of the column. Unveiled 1922.
- 16 Bartholomew Street (II). Mid 18th century, altered. The third story is an early 19th-century addition.
- 17 Bartholomew Street (II). Mid 18th century, altered. Mid 19th-century shopfront, incorporating large carriageway entrance for former dairy, with blue and cream tiles (previously the Atlas brewery entrance).
- 28 Bartholomew Street (II*) (Charles Lucas & Marshall/ Coffin Mew). Mid 18th-century town house. Red brick with stone dressing. A good doorcase, with decorative console brackets carrying a pediment; fanlight over panelled door. Interior with dog-leg (renewed) staircase with dado panelling, turned balusters, fluted column newels and moulded handrail. Early 19th-century plaster cornice in hall. On first floor, listing includes 18th-century painted panelling; some re-used and painted early 17th-century oak panelling; a late 18th-century “Adam” marble fireplace; and a painted plaster ceiling and frieze (Some of this panelling etc has been removed).
- 28A Bartholomew Street (II). Late 18th-century house, altered.
- 29A & 29 Bartholomew Street (II). Mid 19th-century shop, included for group value.
- Coopers’ Arms, 39 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th-century refronting of older timber-framed building. Interior with moulded ceiling beams. Appears under this name in list of 1761.
- 40-45 Bartholomew Street (II). Terrace of houses and shops, listed as early 19th-century, but some buildings containing timber-framing. At rear of No. 45, former early 19th-century cottage now part of the main premises.
- 48, 48A & 49 Bartholomew Street (II). Late 18th-century house. Modern, Georgian-style shopfronts.
- Phoenix House, 50 Bartholomew Street (II). Early-mid 18th-century house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (master builder). It was used circa 1841-1923 as the brewer’s house of the Phoenix Brewery.Range at rear of No. 50 Bartholomew Street (II). Mid 19th century, formerly the beerhouse and brewhouse of the Phoenix brewery. The beerhouse was converted as offices in 1893. The three-storey brewhouse (now flats) was built in 1867 by James H. Money for William Nutley. The top floor housed the hoist, grain grinding mill,the copper, water tanks and malt and grain storage. The first floor comprised the engine room, wash turn room, cooler room and fermenting tun room. The ground floor held the boiler, injector pump, well and cask storage.
- 51-53 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th-century terrace.
- 59 & 60 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th-century pair of shops. Former passageway entrance to Vine Cottages (No. 61, Bartholomew Street), now blocked.
- 61 Bartholomew Street (II), next to the railway bridge. 17th-century house, formerly the Vine Inn until 1917, altered.
- Former Nos 1 & 2 Vine Cottages (II), now the rear premises of No 61 Bartholomew Street. Early 18th-century range, probably shown on the Willis map of 1768. East gable end top is timber framed with brick nogging. Moulded bricks string at first floor level.
- 62, 63, 63A, 63B, & 64 Bartholomew Street (II). Late 18th-century terrace at corner of Bartholomew Street and Pound Street. Nos 62 and 63 were formerly the Blackboys Hotel, the adjoining railway bridge being called the Blackboys Bridge.
(East side, S to N)
- 72 & 73 Bartholomew Street (II) (Netqubate). Early-mid 19th-century pair of houses.
- 74 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th-century cottage.
- The Eight Bells, Bartholomew Street (II). Late 16th or early 17th century, timber-framed, restored in 19th century with addition to rear. Formerly the Eight Bells public house, until 1961 (appeared under that name in list of 1761). Interior with moulded beams. Southern bay is over carriageway to the former Trafalgar Place.
- 102-103 Bartholomew Street (II). 16th- or 17th-century house, refronted late 18th century. Timber framed. Two storeys.
- 104-106 Bartholomew Street (II). Listed as 16th- or 17th-century houses, but evidence to support this unclear. Keystone arch dated 1824 probably refers to the former Union Court behind it, now destroyed.
- Dolphin Inn, 113 Bartholomew Street (II). Probably 17th/18thcentury inn, refronted late 18th or early 19th century. Appears under this name in list of 1761.
- 114 & 115 Bartholomew Street (II). Late 18th or early 19th century, with glassed-in carriage entrance.
- 118 & 119 Bartholomew Street (II) (Jones Robinson), on the corner with Market Street. Late 18th or early 19th century.
- The Newbury (former Bricklayers Arms), 137 & 138 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th century public house. Appears as Half Moon in list of 1761.
- 149 Bartholomew Street (II). Late 18thcentury house, formerly the Cricketer’s Arms Inn.
- 150 & 151 Bartholomew Street (II). Late 18th-century house. The entrance to the Arcade below No. 150 was filled in above the first floor during the late 19th century and the roof extended to take in this addition.
- 152 & 153 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th-century pair of shops, altered, with late 19th-century shopfronts.
- 154 Bartholomew Street (II). Late 18th century, altered. First floor with 19th-century splayed bay windows. Ground floor with modern openings.
Bath Road – see Old Bath Road
- Bridge over River Kennet, Bridge Street (II*). 1769-72 by James Clarke of Newbury, replacing a sequence of wooden bridges going back to the Middle Ages. Brick with stone ashlar dressings. Three-span structure, of which the two outer spans are concealed by the approach roads on either side. Central segmental-arched span with rusticated voussoirs and four-bay balustrade with cast-iron balusters. On both sides at the north and south ends are arched recesses probably built as shelters. Pilasters with moulded caps support semi-circular arches with scroll-keystones, all in stone. Three of the arches have been incorporated in the adjoining shops while the plinth forms a doorway to No. 1 Bridge Street.
- 1 Bridge Street (II) (Arigato). Probably c.1820. The building formed part of a bridge head development which included Nos 2-4 Bridge Street, and Nos 1 and 104 Northbrook Street. Neo-Georgian stone bank front of 1932 with ¾ columns and pilasters at each end carrying entablature. Lower entrance extension at north end using former bridge shelter of 1769-72 as doorway.
- 2 Bridge Street (Griffins butchers) (II). Late 18th century, of which No. 4 Bridge Street originally comprised the south bay. Former bridge shelter of 1769-72 is incorporated as shop window in north bay. Modern shop front.
- 4 Bridge Street (II). Late 18th century, originally the south bay of No. 2 Bridge Street. Splayed bay with three windows on first and second floor. The centre windows have gauged semi-elliptical brick arches and arched Gothick glazing. The bay is cut away in the ground floor.
(Until 1878 the change from Northbrook Street to Broadway marked the boundary between the Borough of Newbury and the area of Speenhamland, in the parish of Speen).
- King’s Coffee House, 2 Broadway (II). Probably late 17th or early 18th century; front remodelled early 20th century. Formerly a public house in the late 19th century. Plaster parapet with segmental centre inscribed “The Kings Coffee House”. Wooden “Regency” shopfront.
- 5 Broadway (Domino’s Pizza) (II). Mid 18th century, refronted early 19th century. Modern dormers with casements. Modern shop front.
- 11 & 13 Broadway (II). Mid 19th century. Modern shopfront. Carriage entrance.
- The former Clock Tower Inn, 15 Broadway (II). Listed as c.1800 pair of shops, for many years in single occupation as a public house. Good original shopfronts. Passage entrance. The building was converted to a public house by the 1840s, traded as the Queens Arms until c.1959, and finally closed as the Clock Tower in 2011.
- 17 Broadway (Co-operative funeral care) (II). Early-mid 19th-century shop.
- 19 Broadway (Dovetail Employment Agency) (II). Late 18th-century refronting of older building (part of a redevelopment scheme which also included Nos 21 and 23). Good original double shopfront with segmental bowed shop windows with small panes. At rear, two-storey brick range with wide weavers windows to first floor with small panes.
- 21 & 23 Broadway (II). Early 19th-century remodelling of three older buildings, now in single occupation. The two houses which comprise No. 23, refronted mid 19th century. At rear of No 21 gabled 17th-century wing, timber-framed with plaster panels. At rear of No 23, irregular 17th- and 18th-century gables, brick weatherboard and tile hung (Saddlers Court).
- 18 Broadway (Red Peppers) (II). Early 19th-century refronting of older building, formerly part of the Pelican Inn). Modern shop front. Carriageway entrance to former inn yard. A print of circa 1825 shows the present building forming part of a uniform 5 window range which included the site of No 16.
- Thames Court, 20 & 22 Broadway (II). c.1730. Formerly the George Inn (later the George and Pelican, and a major coaching inn). This building used as the residential premises of the hotel until c.1853. At first floor, windows with triangular and segmental pediments in pairs. Ground floor with re-created frontage. 19th-century panelling to first floor; No 22 with reused 17th-century oak panelling on the ground floor. Original 18th-century staircase. For many years known as York House.
- 24 & 26 Broadway (II) (Gurkha Chef and Legends). Circa 1734. Nos 24 and 26 were part of the Bear Inn. First floor front room of No 24 has some reused 17th-century panelling. After closure of the Bear Inn, both buildings became part of Gale’s Speenhamland Brewery and from 1802 to 1935 part of Adnam’s Brewery, No 24 being the brewer’s house. The buildings at the rear of No 24, now converted, were the former brewery.
- 6 Cheap Street (former West Berkshire Conservative Association) (II). Early 19th-century town house. Interior has contemporary staircase with lantern light above.
- 8 Cheap Street (II). Early 19th-century remodelling of mid 18th-century town house. Modern, one storey side entrance extension. Interior with good mid 18th-century staircase and panelling in ground floor south room at back. Occupied by Neates for much of the 20th century.
- 33 & 34 Cheap Street (II). Circa 1679, renovated late 19th- and mid 20th-century. Three gables with carved bargeboards and drooping finials dated 1679, with the initials “SAM”. Modern shopfronts. The house was formerly the family house of the Merriman family; “SAM” stood for Samuel and Ann Merriman.
- Catherine Wheel Inn, 38 Cheap Street (II). Frontage by James H. Money, 1891 in a Victorian Tudor style. Crenellated parapet stepped up over ship’s wheel [sic] plaque, with Tudor-style chimneys. Arched doorway at north end with hood mould. Appears under this name in list of 1761. Wide carriage entrance at south end.
- Former Post Office, 40 Cheap Street (II). Purpose-built for the Post Office, opened in 1896 (date on rainwater heads). A form of late Victorian Tudor style, with large arched window in centre of ground floor and ‘VR’ monogram over windows to either side.
- 41 Cheap Street (II). Early 19th-century pair of houses.
- 48 Cheap Street (II). Mid-late 17th-century house refronted in early 19th century. Modern shop fronts. Interior with good early 18th-century staircase. The first-floor back room has good late 18th-century panelling.
- 49 & 50 Cheap Street (II) (Wau and Harris Hair). Probably 17th-century pair, remodelled mid 19th century. Tile-hung gables with casement dormers. Late 19th-century shopfronts. Entrance passage to the former Dotham Place at the south end.
- 53 Cheap Street (II). Probably 18th-century, refronted mid 19th century, shop. Mid 19th-century shopfront. Included for group value.
King Charles Tavern, 54 Cheap Street (II). Listed as mid 19th-century public house.
- 63 Cheap Street (II*). 1796 town house (date plaque on front “TG 1796”). Interior with two good Adam chimney-pieces. The reputed builder of the house, T. Green, formerly had a datestone of 1788 in the now demolished north garden wall at the rear.
- 2 Craven Road and adjoining hall (II). Former Oddfellows Hall and caretaker’s house, 1886 by James H. Money. Centre-piece over entrance with coat of arms of the Oddfellows (carved by John Pound of Speenhamland), with shell pediment surmounted by urn. Recessed round-arched entrance with wrought iron gables. Built by Edward James of Pound Street. Now flats.
- 26-32 Craven Road (II). Mid 19th-century pair of villas. Ground floors with continuous wooden tented canopies with trelliswork.
- 29 & 31 Craven Road (Diamond House) (II). 1862 pair on corner site. Brick with diaper patterning. Brick painted “J.G. 1862”.
- 2, 3, & 6 Cromwell Place (II). 1754 terrace of originally five cottages, converted 1959 for use as two offices. Lead rainwater pipe and head inscribed “BM 1754”. Interior suggests that there was a continuous first floor passage serving a series of bays, possibly storage or living units prior to its use as cottages. A lean-to and extensions for stairs appear to have been added later.
- 7-12 Cromwell Place (II). Early-mid 19th-century terrace.
- United Reformed Church Hall, Cromwell Place (II). 1857, formerly the Congregational School Rooms. Extended circa 1880. Multi-coloured stock brick with blue brick pilasters carrying entablature with blue brick frieze. Narrow end bays with round arched porches, masks on imposts representing Milton, Whitfield, Watts and Raikes. Plaque over central doorways inscribed “Congregational School Rooms”.
- Newbury Hall School (OISE), Enborne Road, formerly St Nicolas Church Primary School (II). 1859 by Henry Woodyer. Two large blocks at the junction of Enborne Road and Rockingham Road, linked by a tower with a short hexagonal spire with modern triangular lucernes. Red, patterned brickwork. Traceried windows with gabled dormers. Arched doorway in base of the tower.
- Falkland Garth, 18 Essex Street (II*). 17th-century farmhouse (formerly Falkland Farm), with later alterations and late 18th-century south-west wing. Old central brick stack with a pair of diagonal brick shafts. Interior with stop-chamfered ceiling beams to ground floor. Traditionally the farmhouse to which Lord Falkland’s body was removed after the First Battle of Newbury in 1643. Listed II* for historical associations.
- Greenham House, Greenham Road (A339) (II) (Newbury Gardens day nursery). Mid 19thcentury house with modern extensions.
- 99 Greenham Road (II). Early 19th-century house. Doorway with original cast iron trellis porch.
- Hambridge Farm House, Hambridge Road (II). Late 17th-century farmhouse. Knapped flint, random rubble with brick dressings. 18th-century brick wing extension with hipped roof.
- Barn at Hambridge Farm (II). 18th-century aisled barn for hand–threshing, with 5 bays.
- Squirrel Cottage, Kendrick Road (II). 1720 pair of cottages, now in single occupation. Former endowment of Kendrick’s Morning Prayer Charity, founded in 1624.
- 1-4 Lime View, Victoria Gardens (II). Mid 19th-century terrace. Symmetrical facade of 8 bays
- 2 London Road (II). Late 18thcentury front block, formerly part of the George and Pelican Inn until c.1850. Mid 19th-century rear range built in the former inn yard. Tuscan portico to side doorway.
- 3 London Road (II). Early 19th century, three storeys. Shown as part of terrace development on print of c.1825. Included for group value.
- 5 & 7 London Road (II). Early 19th century, possibly refronting of older buildings. Three storeys. Shown as terrace development on print of c.1825.
- 6 London Road (II). Mid 18th, remodelled early 19th century. Formerly an annexe to the Cross Keys Inn (No. 8 London Road).
- 9 London Road (II). Early 18th century, formerly part of the Phoenix Inn, remodelled early 19th century. Interior with good original staircase. The building is shown substantially in its present form in a print of c.1825.
- Elizabeth Cottage, The Pentangle (II). Mid 19th-century cottage. Elaborated Dutch gable with small attic window and one window on each floor. Front ground floor room had ceiling decorated with arms of 40 English towns and cities, with the Royal Arms in the centre. The decoration was mainly engravings, printed on paper and stuck to the ceiling. Scroll brackets to fireplace. Back room reportedly has a good chimneypiece of the period, with lions heads.
- 21, 23, 23A & 25 London Road (II). Early 19th-century terrace, altered. The building is shown substantially in its present form in a print of c.1825.
- 34 London Road (II). Probably 18th century, altered. Formerly the Manor House, Speenhamland. Early 19th fenestration. Interior with early 18th-century staircase. The Willis map of 1768 shows this house as freestanding with elaborate formal gardens at the rear and an axial tree-lined avenue on the opposite side of London Road.
- 36, 36A & 38 London Road (II). Early-mid 19th-century pair of semi-detached villas, altered. The entrance of No. 36 has been rebuilt to form a two-storey wing. No. 36A with splayed 19th-century bow window to first floor and modern shop window to ground floor. No. 38 with patterned cast-iron balcony to first floor window.
- 39 London Road (II). Early 19th-century house.
- St Mary’s House, 40 London Road (II*). Double-fronted 18th-century house. Front of 1760s, in Strawberry Hill Gothick style, probably by John Chute of The Vyne, Hants. Known as Ivy House before it was purchased as the Vicarage for St Mary’s Church, Speenhamland, in 1918, and served as Vicarage until the 1970s (which accounts for the name). Architraved doorway with thin tripartite shafts capped by small pinnacles.
- 44 London Road (Clarendon House) (II). 1759, built as a western extension of the former Dower House, now demolished (The Willis map of 1768 shows it as part of the King’s Arms Inn, the large coaching inn which became the Dower House). Modern bow-fronted Regency style windows to ground floor. Interior with contemporary staircase and “Adam” chimneypiece to first floor room.
- 69 & 71 London Road (II). Early 19thcentury pair of semi-detached villas. Entrance extension of No. 69 altered. Included for group value.
- 75 & 77 London Road (II). Early 19th-century pair of semi-detached villas. No. 75 with mid 19th-century splayed bay window to ground floor. Entrances moved from extensions to outer bays mid 19th century.
- St Joseph’s Presbytery, 105 London Road (II). Early 19th-century villa.
- 107 London Road (II). Early 19th-century villa.
- Robin Hood public house, 110 & 112 London Road (II). Early 19th-century pair of semi-detached villas, with modern additions to sides and rear. Earlier The Myrtles, a private house.
- Newbury Manor Hotel (formerly Millwaters), London Road (II). Early 19th century, former mill house of Ham Mills. Late 19th- or early 20th- century extension added on west side forming entrance front with Tuscan portico. Former entrance replaced by splayed bay with French windows.
- Stowers, London Road (II). Probably 17th-century or 18th-century mill house, also part of the Ham Mills complex, remodelled early 19th century. Timber framed with stucco front. Gable with casement windows with cast-iron Gothick arched lights and glazing bars. Splayed bow window to ground floor with Gothick glazing.
- 6-13 Madeira Place, Newtown Road (II). Mid 19th-century terrace.
Mansion House Street
- 4 Mansion House Street (II) (White Stuff). Mid-late 19th-century refronting of older building. Grey brick with red brick dressings. At rear overlooks River Kennet.
- 5 Mansion House Street (II) (BHF). Early-mid 18thcentury. Modern shopfront. In 1849, part of the Berkshire Union Bank.
- Elephant at the Market (former Queen’s Hotel), 8 Market Place (II). Mid 19th-century refronting of older inn, formerly “The Three Tuns” (and appears under that name in list of 1761). Complete 19th-century frontage. Parapet with segmental centre. Carriage entrance.
- Corn Exchange, 10 Market Place (II). 1861-2 by J. S. Dodd. Italianate style. Ashlar. Front of 3 bays with paired Corinthian pilasters. Quatrefoil lunette in tympanum of pediment. “Newbury Castle” above main entrance. Now arts centre and cafe.
- Hatchet, 12 Market Place (II). 1807 pair, now in single occupation as public house (date in brick-work at rear “John Childs 1807”). Appears under this name in list of 1761.
- Cottage at rear of No. 12 Market Place (II). Late 18th- or early 19th-century cottage.
- 24 Market Place (II) (Gardner Leader). Early 19th-century rebuild of the former Hart Inn, dated 1627. By 1752 it was known as the White Hart Inn and grew as a coaching inn, incorporating Nos 20 and 22. Double-fronted; wooden doorcase with pilasters and short sections of frieze. A painting of a white hart is in the centre of the top floor front. At rear is a mid 19th-century extension.
- 21-25 Market Place (II) (former Daniels, Strada etc). Early 19th-century reconstruction of older buildings. A lead plaque with date 1681 found in 1970 at No.25 has been fixed to its frontage. In 1849, consisted of five separate buildings, later in three occupations. Modern shop fronts. Passageway between Nos 21 and 23. At the rear of No. 21 is a 18th-century brick wing.
- 27 Market Place (II). Late 18th century, with modern shopfront and passage entrance to the Arcade. At rear is mid 19th-century shop. First floor with unusual cast iron glazing bars.
- 29 Market Place (II) (Cancer Research). Mid 19th century. Brick, with panelled stucco pilaster strips with scrolled bases at first floor level. 19th century surround to shop window.
- Newbury Town Hall, Market Place (II). 1876-78 town hall facing Market Place by Newbury architect James H. Money with polychrome red and blue brickwork, including the Council Chamber and balcony over main entrance. Traceried arched windows to first-floor Council Chamber with gables over. Clock-tower at north-west corner with tall lancet windows added 1881. Wing along Mansion House Street built 1909-10 as the municipal offices in matching style, also by James H. Money, replacing the old Mansion House.
- Old Wagon & Horses, 26 Market Place (II). Early 19th-century refronting of a 17th-century building. At rear, 17th/18thtimber framing and brick nogging. Interior with 17th-century staircase preserved at second floor level with square newels (one ball finial remaining). Appears under this name in list of 1761.
- Natwest Bank, 28 & 30 Market Place (II). 1864 by J. Chancellor in “Italian Gothic” style. Three storeys. Ashlar with bracketted cornice and pilastered parapet (originally pierced). First floor windows in decorative round arched recesses, with pilasters and cornice. Altered ground floor. It has been occupied by the same bank since it was built as the London and County Bank, but the name has changed on several occasions as the company has merged and changed.
- 32 Market Place (Bella Italia) (II). Formerly Beynon’s department store. Early 19th-century refronting of older building. Parapet with wooden sign-board over (“Estd 1827 Beynon Ltd”). Former first floor bay windows replaced. Modern shopfront. Interior with good 18th-century staircase. Beynon’s did not move in here until 1894, and even then did not replace the name of the former occupier (Burgess) with their own company name for several years.
- 34 Market Place (Ask Italian) (II). Late 18th-century refronting of older building. Modern shopfront.
- Two 19th-century cast iron bollards adjacent to the south wall of No. 25 Northbrook Street (II).
- For “Jack of Newbury’s House” see 24 Northbrook Street.
- Newbury Lock, Kennet and Avon Canal (II). 1796, 20th-century alterations. First lock in linking the Kennet Navigation (which ran from Reading to the Wharf at Newbury) with the Avon Navigation. Brick chamber with stone coping at both ends. 2 sets of double wooden gates with rack-and-pinion operated gate paddles; top gates with additional lever-operated ground paddles.
- Litten Chapel, Newtown Road (II*). Remains of the chapel of the old hospital of St Bartholomew (see also Argyle Road), late medieval/ early 16th-century, attached on west side to The Litten house. Shortened at the east end when Newtown Road was widened. Flint rubble walls and brick east gable end. Each side wall originally had two windows, the north-west window converted as a doorway in 1947 and the south-east window replaced by a modern arched doorway. East window of c.1825. Modern doorway from house. A modern brick extension has been added to the north-west corner. Interior roof with two richly-carved and moulded queen-post trusses, from which the tie-beams have been removed. Excavations in 2004 under the pavement along Pound Street unearthed 59 medieval graves from the hospital’s cemetery.
- The Litten (II), c.1849, in the corner between Argyle Road, Pound Street and Newtown Road. Part of the re-established St. Bartholomew’s School until in 1885 it moved to new and larger premises in Enborne Road. Later used as a hotel and commercial school. Two-and-a-half storeys. Double fronted with 3 windows. Brick with ashlar dressings.
- Upper Raymond Almshouses, 1-10 Newtown Road (II). 1826 terrace. Symmetrical south front in “Gothick” style with battlemented central gable flanked by pinnacles over stone arched gateway (now blocked). Casement windows to first floor with cinquefoil-traceried heads. Later, continuous portico.
- Lower Raymond Almshouses (II). 1796 (date scroll on central gable) symmetrical terrace of 12 almshouses, facing Fair Close. Another range at right angles to this one was destroyed in 1943. Two storeys. One window each with paired entrances.
22 & 24 Newtown Road (II). Early 19th-century pair of semi-detached villas. No. 22 has modern garage extension at rear.
- St John the Evangelist church, Newtown Road (II). 1955-7 by S.E. Dykes-Bower, in a neo-Romanesque style. Brick, with 9-bay nave and narrow aisles. Stained glass windows in the sanctuary by A. E. Buss of Goddard and Gibbs. Replaces an earlier church by William Butterfield, destroyed by bombs during an air raid on February 10, 1943. Extended 1982-3 for the Church Room by Roderick Gradidge in a similar style.
- Monks Lane filling station (II). 1934 first-generation petrol filling station.
(East Side, S to N)
- 1 Northbrook Street (II) (West Cornwall Food Company). Late 18th century. Part of a bridge head development which included Nos 2 and 4 Bridge Street and No. 104 Northbrook Street. First floor windows in arched recesses. Modern shop front. Splayed bay incorporates former bridge shelter of 1769-72 as shop window.
- (Behind nos.) 2 & 3 Northbrook Street (II) (“The Old Rectory”). Early 19th-century refronting of older building shown on the 1768 map as “The Rector’s House”. Interior with mid 18thcentury dog-leg staircase. Re-used 17th-century panelling and some rough 18th-century dado.
- 8-9 Northbrook Street (II) (Camp Hopson). 1790 terrace of 2 or 3 houses, now in one occupation. Rebuilt rear premises. Modern shopfront. Lead rainwater head inscribed “WB1790”. Included for group value of frontage.
- 10-11 Northbrook Street (II*) (Camp Hopson). 1663, altered: rebuilt at rear. Tiled roofs with two tile-hung gables to street with bargeboards and pendants inscribed ‘1663’. Front of red brick rubbers with Doric and Ionic brick pilasters as pedestals between window bays of first and second floors. Modern shopfront. A gabled staircase projection at the rear now enclosed in the shop and the window blocked. Interior with 17th-century staircase, the top-flight balustrade and upper balusters renewed in pine. Painted ceiling of staircase with moulded ribs, cherub, and egg and tongue cornice.
- 12 Northbrook Street (II) (River Island). Late 18th century, altered. Symmetrical five window front with pediment over central three bays. Modern shop front. Rebuilt at rear.
- 23 Northbrook Street (II) (Carphone Warehouse). This building was erected following a fire in 1844, and the frontage designed as part of the adjacent Jack Hotel (demolished 1934, replaced by Marks & Spencer). Modern shop front.
- 24 Northbrook Street (II*) (Cardmarket). 15th/16th century, altered; known as “Jack of Newbury’s House”. Former part of a courtyard complex which also covered the site of Nos 22 and 23. North facade to Marsh Lane retains two-storey gabled end and part of lower two-storey north wing. West facade to Northbrook Street refronted c.1840s to match the style of the Jack Hotel (demolished 1934). Tile roofs with carved bargeboards. Timber framed with close studding. Tudor herringbone nogging to first floor and gable. Panels of modern brick infill to ground floor. Oriel window to first floor, facing Marsh Lane. Modern shopfront. Central chimney stack of Tudor brick. Fireplace (covered up) said to remain on first floor. Ground floor with moulded ceiling beams. Home to John Winchcombe II (c.1489-1557), “Jack of Newbury.”
- 25 Northbrook Street (II) (Ernest Jones). Late 18th century, altered, formerly the Castle pub (later moved behind the shop, with entrance from Marsh Lane). Modern shop front. Included for group value.
- 26 Northbrook Street (II) (TSB). Early-mid 18thcentury town house, originally freestanding (style of James Clarke of Newbury, master builder); altered mid 19th century and later. Red brick with pilasters between bays carrying entablature and parapet on central bay. Windows altered mid 19th century; round-arched attic window in pediment. Modern ground-floor shopfront. Rear fenestration of No. 26 altered, with early 19th-century ground floor bow window. Early 19th-century range at rear of No. 26A. The building formed part of the Newbury Brewery in the 19th century.
- 33 & 34 Northbrook Street (II). Early 19th-century refronting of 2 older properties. Venetian windows with pilasters and glazing bars; pediments to second floor; round arches to first floor. No 34 entirely rebuilt apart from facade as part of Parkway development. Modern shopfronts.
- 38 Northbrook Street (II). Early 19th century. Modern shopfront.
- 39 Northbrook Street (II). Mid 18th-century house, altered. Modern shop front.
- 42 Northbrook Street (Specsavers) (II*). 1724 (date and monogram in spandrels of central first floor window). Composite Order pilasters between bays of first floor carry modillioned entablature. Central first floor window of Venetian type with small Ionic pilasters. Flanking windows in arched recesses, all with keystones carved with children’s figures. Attic window in arched recess with plain keystone. Reglazed early 19th century. Crowning the front were formerly four figures representing the seasons. Rebuilt interior.
- 43 Northbrook Street (II) (Winkworth). Early 19th century. Gauged flat brick arches to recessed first floor windows. Modern shop front.
- 44 Northbrook Street (II) (A-Plan Insurance). Late 18th century. Modern shop front.
- 45 Northbrook Street (II) (Casino Slots). Early 19th century. Modern shop front. Included for group value.
- 46 Northbrook Street (II) (Chancellors). Early 19th century. Modern shop front.
- 49 Northbrook Street (II) (Halletts). Mid 19th century. Three storeys. Modern shop window.
- 50 Northbrook Street (II). 17th-century range with wings and outbuildings at rear. Front remodelled mid 19th century. Timber framed with patterned tile-hung front and plain tile rear gables. Modern shop fronts. Extensive alterations in 1980s. At rear, 18th and 19th century. North wing timber framed with rendered panels and mullioned “weavers” window to first floor.
- 51 Northbrook Street (II). Early 19th century. Three storeys. Three windows with bowed one window corner treatment and one window north forming the south-east corner of The Broadway. Ionic pilasters rising through first and second floor levels carrying entablature and blocking course. Modern shop front.
(West side, N to S)
- 54 Northbrook Street (II) (Belvoir). Early 19th-century shop. Wooden shop front with pilasters carrying entablature with dentil cornice; altered shop window.
- 55 Northbrook Street (II) (Strutt & Parker). Early 19th-century shop, altered. House entrance with panelled door. Modern shop front.
- The Monument, 57 Northbrook Street (II). Late 17th century, altered. Two large tile-hung gables. Rendered south gable wall (party wall demolished in 1837 when the Methodist Church was built). At rear, 18th-century brick extension. Interior with original ground floor ceiling beams. Appears under this name in list of 1761.
- Methodist Church, Northbrook Street (II*). Quasi-Early English style (exterior only). Limestone ashlar. Central entrance bay flanked by six-stage, octagonal buttress-turrets. Central arched entrance to porch. Very rare, unaltered Gothic interior with galleries on four sides carried on elongated Corinthian columns of cast-iron. Gallery parapet with arcaded panels and moulded rail. Octagonal stone pulpit in front of communion recess with arcaded panels entered by an elegant wooden geometrical staircase with wrought iron railings. Communion table in three-bay recess, with painted tables of the Lord’s Prayer, Creed, and Commandments. Organ at west end over gallery with carved wooden case. Flat ceiling with moulded ribs, foliated corbels and ceiling roses. Portable font basin with cover, carried on octagonal column. Rare and good example of an early 19th-century Wesleyan Methodist church interior.
- 70 Northbrook Street (II) (J. Lawrence, jewellers). Early-mid 18th-century house, altered. Timber framed with stucco front remodelled early 19th century. Modem shop front.
- 73 Northbrook Street (II) (Nature’s Corner). Early-mid 19thcentury shop. Good wooden shop front with fluted Ionic pilasters carrying entablature which extends over carriage entrance to Weaver’s Walk.
- 77 Northbrook Street (II) (Greggs). Early 19th century, altered. First floor windows in arched recesses. Modern shop front. The Newbury Magistrate’s Office formed part of those premises in the mid 19th century.
- 80 Northbrook Street (II) (3 Store). Early 19th-century refronting of older, gabled building. Modern shop front.
- 86 Northbrook Street (II) (Cafe Nero). Late 18th-century shop, altered. Shop front retains decorated elliptical fanlight to house doorway.
- 90 Northbrook Street (II) (Santander). Early-mid 19th century, altered. Modern shopfront. Passage entrance at north end to Pembroke Road. Included for group value.
- 91 & 92 Northbrook Street (No. 91, Tui; No. 92, Vision Express) (II*). Grand seven-bay house of 1744, style of James Clarke of Newbury (master builder), probably for a member of the Head family. Tuscan pilasters rise through first and second floors carrying entablature. Parapet with pilaster strips. Segmental arched sash windows. Modern shop fronts. Two storey wing at rear with brick cornice and tile-hung gable.
- 93, 93A & 93B Northbrook Street (II) (Prêt a Manger). Early-mid 19th-century refronting of older house. Cornice and parapet. Modern shopfront. Two storey range at rear; brick and tile-hung. Included for group value.
- 94 Northbrook Street (II) (Temptation). Early 19thcentury refronting (c.1830) of former 17thcentury house. First floor windows with side-lights flanking blind central window with console-bracketted pediment. Interesting late 19thcentury shopfront with bracketted cornice decorated with enriched pendant. Passage entrance at north end. Rear elevation rebuilt.
- 102 & 103 Northbrook Street (Côte Brasserie) (II). 15th-century building, altered, with changed roof line (early roof line visible on exterior N side, and largely intact in attic). Dendrochronology dated the earlier roof to 1496. Building refronted in early 19th century. Of one build, in the later 19th century part of the Bridge Brewery. Modern shop front. Ground and first floor with ceiling beams.
- 4 Northcroft Lane (II). 1824 almshouses endowed by John Childs for three male members of the Church of England. Gothick style. Blind window over doorway with inscription “This Almshouse was erected and endowed AD 1824 by Mr John Childs sail-cloth manufacturer of this town for poor men of good moral character, natives and parishioners of Newbury.” Replaced as almshouses in 1879 by the Church and Childs Almshouses in Newtown Road.
- The Temperance Hall, Northcroft Lane (II). 1875 Temperance Hall, a focus for a thriving movement locally, involving a wide range of organisations. A remodelling of a hall with various previous uses (including as a school and a Gospel Hall), which in turn is said to have been remodelled from five old cottages. Stone plaque over entrance inscribed “Temperance Hall.” Four stone tablets on the front at plinth level inscribed “Wine is a mocker/ Strong drink is raging/ It stingeth like an adder/ The drunkard shall come to poverty.” The National Schools were here until 1859 when the St Nicolas (National) School in Enborne Road was built, but it continued for a time as an infants’ school. Listed for historical and sociological interest. Now a day nursery.
- 14 & 16 Northcroft Lane (II). Late 18th-century pair of terrace houses.
Old Bath Road
- The Chestnuts, 2 Old Bath Road (II*). 18th-century house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (master builder), on the junction with Oxford Road. The date 1720 appears on the roof; some of the chimneys bear the date 1740. Doric portico with pediment; architraved, segmental arched doorway with fanlight with margin lights and raised and fielded panel door. Good interior with later alterations. Panelled dado and enriched plaster cornices. Contemporary dog-leg stair-case with open string, curved brackets, turned balusters, swept handrail and column newels. Original oak roof structure with diagonal trusses.
- Mulberry House/ The Lawn, 24 Old Bath Road (Micro Focus) (II). Late 18th century. Originally three storeys, the top floor removed c.1938. Modern parapet. Tuscan portico; round-arched doorway with radial fanlight and panelled door. Later additions to rear and sides.
- Castle Houses, 36, 38 & 40 Bath Road (II). Terrace of three houses which lay to the west of the former Castle Inn. No. 40 is an early 19th-century house. Nos 36 and 38 are early-mid 19th-century houses. Doric porticoes.
- 42 & 44 Old Bath Road (II). Mid 19th-century villa, now in 2 occupations.
- Goldwell House, Old Bath Road (II). Reputedly c.1740, remodelled and reroofed early 19th century. Moulded brick stacks. Late 19th-century stone portico with balustraded parapet. Interior with 17th-century type staircase with close strings, square newels and turned balusters. It was home of the Page family, who owned the Kennet Navigation.
- Maplespeen Court, Old Bath Road (II). Mid 18th-century house, of which the two-storey south part survives, heightened with additions early 19th century. Modern addition to rear. Now flats.
- Merchant House, 20 Oxford Road (II). Pair of mid 19th-century cottages. Doorway with open pediment and arched fanlight. South return recently refronted with new fenestration and hip roof replacing gable. Now in single occupation.
- Wessex House, 22 Oxford Road (II*) (formerly The Shrubbery). Early-mid 19th century. Stucco with fluted Ionic pilasters carrying cornice and blocking course. Rusticated ground floor. Cast-iron trellis veranda across part with tented canopy.
- 4 Oxford Street (II). Mid 18th century, formerly part of the Bear Inn, the principal hostelry in Speenhamland until it closed shortly before 1768. Remodelled early-mid 19thcentury. Rusticated stucco ground floor. 19th-century doorway with pilasters and console bracketted cornice. Segmental arched carriage entrance. At rear, late 18th-century service range and stables; mostly 19th-century fenestration and doorway.
- Chequers Hotel, 6 & 8 Oxford Street (II). Four buildings, representing piecemeal redevelopment of the former Chequer’s Inn and the acquisition of adjoining properties. No 6 (east): late 18th century, altered. Modern carriage entrance at east end. No 6 (centre): 1833. Modern entrance. Lead rainwater head inscribed 1833. No 6 west): mid-late 19th-century range. Stucco with pilasters rising through ground and first floor with balustraded parapet above. No 8: mid 19th century, formerly a private house set back from the road. Former entrance replaced by window. Interiors of Nos 6 and 8 altered.
- Bacon Arms Hotel, 10 Oxford Street (II). Early 19th-century remodelling of older inn building. Known as the Maidenhead Inn until the 1820s. Segmental arched carriage entrance, now glassed-in. Interior altered but retains 17th/18thcentury ceiling beams to ground floor. The (open) carriage entrance was used in the recreation which celebrated the bicentenary of the first Mail Coach run, from Bath to London, in 1984.
- 27 Oxford Street (II) (Jaywing). Early 19th-century town house, Albion House. The 1768 Willis map does not show this building, which appears to have been built in the forecourt of an older house, now demolished. It is marked on the 1837 map. Used as a V.A.D. Hospital 1915-19, for World War I.
- 29-33 Oxford Street (Valle d’Oro/ Jason Palmer) (II). Mid 18th-century terrace of four cottages, now in two occupations. Ground floor openings replaced by shop and restaurant fronts. Included for group value.
- Queen Anne House, 35 & 35A Oxford Street (II). Early-mid 18th-century pair of houses, altered. Early 19th-century attic storey. Door approached by flight of steps with wrought-iron handrail.
- The High House, 37 Oxford Street (II). Early 19th-century town house. Tuscan portico with attached columns. Cast iron railings with urn finials to standards. On a wall in a cupboard in a former ground floor pantry are the dates “John Hicks 1722” and “Fosdich 1822”.
- 39 Oxford Street (II). Early 19th-century house, with mid 19th-century attic storey and bay windows to ground floor. Good, cast-iron trellis porch with tented roof.
- 1-12 Park Terrace, Park Way (II). Mid 19th-century terrace.
- The Garden House, 2 Pound Street (II). Late 18th-century house, altered. L shaped plan with 2½ storeys, gabled front to rear. Lower two-storey range at rear. 19th-century west extension with modern glazed verandah.
- 13A-27 Pound Street (II). Early 19th-century terrace of cottages, of interest for the use of vitrified brick on a large scale at this date. Round-arched doorways with blind, radial fanlights and panelled doors.
- 16 & 18 Pound Street (II). Early 19th-century villa with modern extensions on east and west sides. Original wooden doorcase altered to form modern portico with glazed side panels. Modern fascia at first floor level.
- 33 Pound Street (II). Early 19th-century villa.
St John’s Road
- Former Vicarage of St John’s Church (II) (Herbert Potter House/ Abbeyfield). Late 19th-century vicarage in modified Tudor style. Brick with diaper decoration. Probably by Butterfield, the architect of the original St. John’s Church (see Newtown Road).
St Mary’s Place
- 1A and 2 to 5 St. Mary’s Place (II). Mid C19 (built between 1837 and 1849) terrace in Gothick style fronting east. Nos 1A, 2 and 3, three storeys; Nos 4 and 5, two storeys. Two windows each. No 6 St Mary’s Place forms part of this group.
- 6 St Mary’s Place (II). Mid 19th-century villa (built between 1837 and 1849) in Gothick style fronting south. Forms end house of terrace, Nos. 1A and 2-5 St Mary’s Place. Two storeys and dormers. Double fronted with 3 bays with slightly recessed entrance bay.
- Smith’s Crescent, 11-73 Shaw Road (II). 1823 terrace of two storey houses. Pedimented central feature with date plaque, inscribed “Smith’s Crescent 1823”. Semi-elliptical carriage entrance in arched recess below. Some openings altered.
- 75, 77 & 79 Shaw Road (II). 1818 terrace (date plaque inscribed ‘RS 1818’). Fenestration of No.77 altered. Included for group value.
- 89 Shaw Road (II). Early 19th century, formerly the Wheatsheaf Inn.
- Shaw Bridge House, 107 Shaw Road (II). 18th-century remodelling of an earlier house. Timber-framed with gabled front. Modern entrance.
- Former Stables of No. 107 (Shaw Bridge House), Shaw Road (II). Early 19th century. Round-arched openings with radial glazing.
- 112 Shaw Road (II). Early 19th century, altered. Formerly the Old Dog Inn. Two storeys. Small central pediment with gauged red brick segmental relieving arch. Windows with red brick pedimental relieving arches over. Modern shop window. Included for group value.
Waldegrave Place (off Northbrook Street)
- Marsh Cottage, Waldegrave Place, Northbrook Street (II). Early 19th-century villa. Grey brick with red brick dressings. Doorway with console-bracketed cornice.
- Warren Lodge Presbytery, Warren Road, Wash Common (II). Circa 1858 farmhouse, built when Wash Common was enclosed. Entrance portico with panelled pilasters. Now presbytery to St Francis de Sales Church.
- St Nicolas House, 3 West Mills (II*). Early-mid 18th-century town house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (master builder) with mid 18th-century extension at rear. Blue-grey bricks with red brick dressings. Parapet with pilaster strips and blind, arched panels. Semi-elliptical arched sash windows, on the first floor with brick aprons. Good doorcase with open pedimented hood on consoles ornamented with cherubs’ heads. Mid 18th-century range at rear with mostly 19th-century openings to ground floor. Interior of main house with mid 18th-century staircase with one twisted, one fluted and one plain baluster to each step. Two re-set, late 18th-century chimney pieces. For many years the brewer’s house for the West Mills Brewery, built for a member of the Slocock family.
- 4 West Mills (II), The Chantry. Early 19th-century extension to No. 3, but converted mid 19th century to form a separate residence. Fine late 18th-century, Doric style portico which originally formed the entrance to the former White Hart Inn (No. 24 Market Place).
- Craven House, 9 West Mills (II). Late 18th- or early 19th-century town house. Round-arched ground floor windows and doorway.
- 10 West Mills (II). Early 19th-century town house. Photo of 1867 indicates that the building originally lacked the present first floor window over the side passage.
- 11 West Mills (II). Formerly included Nos 12 and 13. 1817 almshouse, a rebuild of almshouses given and endowed 1727 by Thomas Hunt for three widows of clothiers. Gothick casement windows with arched heads. Elliptical sunk panel at first floor level, originally with a dedicatory inscription.
- 14 West Mills (II). Early 19th-century remodelling of older building. Partly timber framed with painted plaster front and tile-hung gable.
- 15 & 16 West Mills (II). Late 17th-century pair of cottages, remodelled early 19th century; formerly almshouses founded by will of Francis Coxedd in 1690. One-and-a-half storeys. One window each. Central, timber-framed, gabled porch with tile roof, brick nogging and panelled door. Ceased to be used as almshouses in 1883.
- 17 & 18 West Mills (II). No.17 (east side): early 19th-century cottage. No.17 (west side) and No.18: late 15th-century timber-framed pair of cottages, altered. Acquired as almshouses in response to the will of Thomas Pearce, proved in 1671. Timber-framed with square panels and painted brick nogging. Former first floor jetty. Original windows replaced by early 19th-century sashes. Dendrochronology shows originally built c.1476. Small 19th-century gabled porch. Ceased to be an almshouse in 1883, when 17th-century carving above doorway moved to the new Coxedd-Pearce almshouses off Enborne Road.
- 19 West Mills (II). Mid 19th-century cottage. Included for group value.
- 20 West Mills (II). Early 19th century, formerly the West Mills Almshouses, now in single occupation. Modern porch on east return and old doorway in corner with boarded door leading to small court at rear.
- 21 West Mills (II). Mid-late 18th-century cottage.
- Club House, 22 West Mills (II). Early-mid 18th-century town house. Double-fronted with modern brick porch.
- Weavers’ Cottages (formerly 23 to 29 West Mills) (II). Originally two contrasting timber-framed buildings, with a timber-framed house at the east (Kennet Road) end (with oriel window); and a long building probably a workshop to the west. Converted into 9 cottages, reduced to 7 in the 19th century. Converted into two residences in 1963 by A. J. Campbell Cooper. Original timber-framing largely intact inside both cottages. Dendrochronology dates both buildings to 1633.
- 32 West Mills (II). Early 19th-century villa. Decorated wooden porch entrance with arched doorway.
- The Stone Building, The Wharf (II) (Kennet & Avon Canal Trust). Mid 19th-century granary, formerly one of several buildings on the Wharf which served the trade along the Kennet and Avon Canal (others mostly demolished). Stone ashlar (unusual for Newbury) with brick gables. First floor hoist, bracket double doors, platform and canopy.
- 1 & 3 Wharf Street (II) (Slug & Lettice). Mid 19th-century refronting of older timber-framed building.
- 5 Wharf Street (II*) (Gardner Leader). Early-mid 18th-century town house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (master builder). Parapet with pilasters and central round-arched recess. Early 19th-century wooden doorcase with reeded pilasters. Good interior with panelled entrance hall with fluted pilasters and staircase with carved brackets, moulded handrail and turned balusters. Old panelling in upper rooms. In the late 18th-century wing at the rear the first-floor room has a good Corinthian Venetian window, two Adam-style doorways and a moulded plaster frieze.
- 7 & 9 Wharf Street (II) (Document House). 1830 stables of No. 5 Wharf Street, built on site of north range of Cloth Hall, demolished 1829. No. 7 has arched doorway; No. 9, modern entrance. Included for group value.
- Wharf House, Wharf Street (II) (formerly Kendrick House). Originally two separate buildings successively fronting The Wharf: western house mid 18th century, and an early 19th-century block added on the east side (eastern house). Western house: probably timber framed with rendered south front and tile-bung cladding. Eastern house: stuccoed brick. North ground floor window altered. Central entrance with wooden doorcase with panelled pilasters carrying entablature. A north room on the first floor has a good doorframe and dado.
- Granary, Wharf Street (II*). c.1723, altered 1935 and (the listing details say late 17th century). Former warehouse, now West Berkshire Museum. Red brick in Flemish bond. Long narrow single depth range of eight cells, each cell of two bays. Ground floor remodelled in the 1930s when front wall of the ground floor was replaced by bay windows. Timber gallery cantilevered out on first floor with double flight of wooden stairs at centre; the main roof is carried down to form a canopy over the gallery and is supported on a series of cranked posts with wooden rails between; the first-floor doorways have plank doors, timber lintels and semi-circular relieving arches, their tympana pierced by extended tie-beams of the main roof which support the gallery roof. Some later inserted windows at rear. East end wall rebuilt or refaced in brick. Interior: Ground floor has unchamfered cross-beams jettied out to support gallery. Brick partition walls dividing range into eight bays; common-rafter couples intact. The roof has been strengthened by later diagonal braces and intermediate collars.
- Cloth Hall, Wharf Street (I). Now part of West Berkshire Museum. Built 1626-27 by Richard Emmes of Speenhamland (master carpenter), for Newbury Corporation as a cloth-weaving workshop to provide employment for the poor. The original building was of courtyard plan of which the former south range survives. By 1659 the building was used as a workhouse (Kendrick’s Hospital). From 1706-22 part of the building was adapted for use as a Blue Coat School. With formation of the Kennet Navigation in 1714 the old Cloth Hall became a grain store. The north and east ranges were probably demolished in 1829 when the south range was renovated. Restored and converted for use as a museum in 1902-4. In 1934 the Walter Money Memorial Gallery was built as the east end in similar style to link the museum with the Granary (a link since demolished and replaced by a modern design). Six bay north front with first floor jetty and three large gables. Tile roof with a brick chimney (c.1897). Timber-framed with plaster panels. Ground floor bays with semi-circular wood pilasters. Jetty with carved (mostly restored) brackets. Windows and doorway formed in west gable wall before 1759 in similar style to remainder. Doorway (remodelled 1902-4) with pilasters and coved, bracketted hood. Former doorway in west bay of north front.
Entries show listings by Grade: I, II*, II. The Grade I buildings in Newbury are St Nicolas Church, Bartholomew Street, and the Cloth Hall, Wharf Street.
While using some material from the official Listed Building descriptions, these are Newbury Society descriptions, with some additional and new information.
Please do inform us if you are aware of any errors, or if you see entries which need to be updated.