Our next event:
11th April 2019, 7.30pm
“60 Years at Newbury Station – 1958 to 2018”
By David Canning
Hello, welcome to The Newbury Society website. Let us tell you a little about The Society…
The Society was established in 1973 with the aim of ensuring that Newbury remains a pleasant town for all who live in, work in or visit it.
A prime objective is to build pride in the town so that all will share in the wish to protect and improve all that is good in and around it:
- The “market town” atmosphere with a town centre increasingly endowed with architecture of character and merit.
- The waterways heritage and the unique canal and river landscape.
- The green spaces in and near the town centre.
- Is a member of Civic Voice (the national coordinating body for civic societies), West Berkshire Heritage Forum and Newbury Town Council’s Town Trail Steering Group, and has been a member of the Cinema and other campaign groups and the Newbury Town Centre Partnership.
- Reviews all relevant planning applications, draft local plans, briefs for major developments etc, and comments when necessary.
- Is involved with a variety of local historical projects and publications and has published a Heritage Map and a Town Walks booklet.
- Arranged the restoration and installation of the crane that now stands on Newbury Wharf.
- Arranges the opening of local properties as part of the national Heritage Open Days weekend each September.
- Publishes a members’ newsletter and organises regular meetings and social events.
The Society’s charitable objects are, for public benefit in the former borough of Newbury and the adjacent civil parishes, to:
- Stimulate public interest and educate the public in the geography, history, natural history and architecture of the area, and in the transport and communications serving it.
- Promote high standards of planning and architecture in or affecting the area.
- Secure the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of historic or public interest in the area.
- Promote civic pride in the area.